Boost Tanning Supplement
Boost capsules are intended for use by anyone wanting to develop a richer suntan naturally. There is also mounting anecdotal evidence to show they can help to repigment vitiligo.
(Please note these capsules are now red but the formulation inside is exactly the same as before the colour change.)
More information below
Boost capsules are a nutritional supplement intended for use by anyone wanting to develop a richer suntan naturally. They provide 15 different nutritional ingredients that the body requires in the natural production of skin pigment.
Why is it in Vitiligo Store?
There is mounting anecdotal evidence to show they can help to re-pigment vitiligo in some cases.
How does it work?
This product was not formulated to treat vitiligo. It is a nutritional supplement - not a medication - designed to optimise the tanning process in normal skin. However, it may prove helpful in vitiligo because it contains the nutrients known to be involved in the natural tanning process. L-Tyrosine, for example, is the amino acid that converts into melanin in the body. Tyrosine activity in vitiliginous skin has been found to be much lower than in normal skin even though melanocytes (melanin-forming cells) are present. The inclusion of this amino acid in Boost may be one of the reasons some vitiligo sufferers report that it stimulates new pigment. Similarly, each of the other ingredients in Boost is regularly cited in the available vitiligo research data as being involved in the process of making pigment. (There is far too much of this evidence to include on this page but a little googling on the ingredients - listed below - will provide you with more clues as to how it may work in the context of vitiligo.)
Ingredients (per 2 capsule serving):
- L-Tyrosine 500mg
- PABA 300mg
- Copper (as sulphate) 1mg
- Vitamin B1 (as Thiamine HCI) 5mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 5mg
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) 10mg
- Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 10mg
- Vitamin B6 (Pyroxidine HCI) 10mg
- Folic Acid 200mcg
- Vitamin B12 12.5mcg
- Vitamin C (Asorbic Acid) 100mg
- Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 2.5mcg
- Vitamin E 100mg
- Zinc (as Gluconate) 1.25mg
- Choline Bitartrate 30mg
- (Other ingredients: magnesium stereate, gelatin)
Tips from The Vit Pro
- Boost proved amazingly effective for me, used in conjunction with the green food supplement Five a Day+V (also available in Vitiligo Store) and regular, moderate sun exposure. I went from roughly 80% white to approximately 98% repigmented. Most of this occurred within the first 12 months; the rest continued gradually over the following 6 months or so.You can find the whole story of my repigmentation on: thevitpro.com.
- Recommended dosage for adults is 2 capsules twice a day before meals.
- The directions on the label are designed for short-term use for sunbathers. However, I used it daily for roughly 18 months until nearly fully repigmented, then dropped down to normal usage once or twice yearly for beach holidays. I suffered no ill effects from long-term use but recommend consulting your doctor if you are in doubt as to the safety of this.
- I am often asked if children can use this supplement. Advice from a qualified nutritionist, when asked, was that it should be fine for children of 5 upwards at a precautionary reduction in dosage: e.g. 1 capsule daily insstead of 4. Again, I must refer you to a qualified health practitioner for their opinion.
- Moderate sun exposure (or UVB phototherapy) is recommended several times a week whilst taking this supplement in order to stimulate new pigment.
- One pot (120 capsules) will last one month if used every day.
- There is no guarantee that everyone with vitiligo will achieve the same results as I did. However I do frequently receive positive feedback from other vitiligo sufferers that Boost (and Five a Day+V) has helped them too. I have included just a few of their comments below.
- It is important to stick with it for at least 6 - 8 weeks before expecting to see results.
If you are taking any prescribed medication, suffer from any medical conditions, are pregnant or breast feeding always consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking supplements. Keep out of sight and reach of children. Do not exceed stated dose. Food supplements must not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet. Store in a cool, dry place. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.