TIANA Fair Trade Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
(This item shipped to UK, Europe & USA only)
TIANA Fair Trade Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil has a wonderful taste, whether eaten raw, in smoothies or used for cooking and baking. This highly nutritious and cholesterol free oil is made from the freshest organic, fairtrade coconuts, cold pressed with absolutely no heat used during the process and is suitable for those following a raw diet.
It can also be used as a natural moisturiser, hair conditioner and makeup remover.
More information below
Coconut oil is a plant fat that has a huge and enthusiastic following among the natural health community, both for cooking and personal care uses. It is extracted from the kernel, or "meat", of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. Its many health benefits were largely overlooked for years in a mistaken belief that its high saturated fat content made it an unhealthy food choice. However, this view is now known to have been flawed.
Click here for some of the science behind its popularity.
Why is it in Vitiligo Store?
Cold-pressed, virgin or extra virgin coconut oil is naturally rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the skin from the free radical damage that is typically observed in vitiligo. It is also an exceptionally effective natural moisturiser and after-sun treatment. Its many personal care uses make it a must-have item for anyone wanting to swap their chemical-laden high street toiletries for a safe and natural alternative.
As a cooking oil and culinary ingredient, coconut oil is thought to be on a par with olive oil, in terms of its health benefits, and is the oil of choice for many people who follow a low carb or paleo diet. The practice of oil-pulling, using coconut oil, is recommended as a way of removing toxins from the body and may be especially helpful for anyone with a chronic condition, like vitiligo and many others.
How does it work?
The structure of fat in coconut oil differs crucially from other saturated fats often found in animal products (which are typically comprised of long-chain fatty acids). The fat in coconuts contains an unusually high amount of medium-chain fatty acids or triglycerides, which are now believed to provide a range of health benefits, including protection against cardiovascular disease, diabetes and weight gain. Clinical and anecdotal evidence also suggests it may slow the development of Alzheimer's disease. In addition, its exceptional moisturising properties have made it a popular choice as a skin care and personal care ingredient. It also possesses antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, as well as being an exceptionally effective moisturiser. Pure coconut oil is solid at normal-to-low room temperatures but melts to a liquid when heated or on contact with the skin, absorbing quickly and easily and rendering the skin a soft, supple texture. It contains a high concentration of Vitamin E and, because it is among the slowest of all natural oils to oxidise, coconut oil is very resistant to turning rancid, making it easier to store for longer.
Tips from The Vit Pro
- I have personally found coconut oil to be so beneficial that I deliberately try to substitute it for as many other products as possible
- The advantage of using coconut oil instead of other products is twofold: 1) better health and 2) cost savings
These are some of the ways coconut oil can be used:
- Cooking oil for baking, frying, etc.
- Supplement (for healthy heart, weight and brain function)
- Moisturiser for face, body and hands
- After-sun (good for after phototherapy too)
- Make-up remover (even tackles waterproof mascara)
- Massage oil
- Sunscreen (be careful, though, as it is not a high SPF)
- Insect repellent (very good mixed 10 part to 1 part neem oil)
- Body scrub (mixed with sea salt)
- Dry, cracked skin-repair for elbows and knees
- Cuticle softener
- Nail conditioner
- Hair conditioner
- Hair serum (both for anti-frizz and for definition with short cuts)
- Eye serum
- Eyelash conditioner
- Underarm deodorant/antiperspirant (amazingly good!)
- Shaving balm
- Mouthwash / breath-freshener / tooth whitener (“oil-pulling”)
- Highlighter for face and body (for a sexy shimmer and muscle definition!)