DermaSilk Ladies' Intimo Crop Top
Soft, stretchy crop with side measurements of approx. 20cm, stretching to 30cm. Detachable straps. Styled and suited for those who have undergone breast surgery or who have skin conditions that cause adverse reactions to conventional bra fabrics and fasteners. Can be worn under, or instead of, a bra.
More information below
DermaSilk is not like any other silk garments that you can buy and other clothing made from standard shiny silk has not been shown in controlled clinical trials to perform in the same way as this fabric does.
DermaSilk. It is the only silk therapeutic clothing that has been clinically proven to be superior to cotton in controlling itching and scratching and its effectiveness has even been compared favourably with a topical steroid cream.
DermaSilk protection works in two ways:
- Microorganisms (including bacteria, fungi or yeasts) cannot grow on the fabric, so they cannot be transferred from the fabric to the skin.
- Microorganisms already on the skin are deactivated on contact with DermaSilk fabric.
The antimicrobial effect of Dermasilk continues to work over time and is not destroyed with use or after laundering. It is totally safe for the skin and the environment. And it is approved by worldwide control bodies and included in the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 list, class 1.
Why is it in Vitiligo Store?
An inflammatory, autoimmune response to certain triggers is thought to be involved in the development of vitiligo. This can be so severe that some vitiligo sufferers report intense itching immediately prior to the appearance of a new lesion. Direct contact with certain chemicals, including those in rubber gloves and certain dyes and threads commonly used in clothing, can sometimes be a trigger for the onset or spread of vitiligo. So, wearing DermaSilk gloves inside rubber gloves and DermaSilk under-garments can provide an effective way of protecting skin from direct contact with these chemicals.
Interestingly, one of the many clinical trials demonstrating the therapeutic effectiveness of DermaSilk concluded* that it actually enhances collagen synthesis as well as reducing inflammatory processes. This may be relevant to vitiligo since research suggests that, in addition to the autoimmune inflammatory response that occurs in vitiligo, collagen damage specifically is involved.
Tips from The Vit Pro
- I have read everything I can find about DermaSilk (and there is a lot!) and it hit me like a bolt of lightning that therapeutic clothing could, and should, be an important part of managing and treating vitiligo.
- DermaSilk is widely recognised in medical circles as the best therapeutic fabric for use with eczema, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and acne and yet I seriously doubt that dermatologists routinely recommended it to their vitiligo patients. This makes no sense, given that vitiligo is known to involve inflammation and, in particular, the Koebner response to friction.
- One reason hands and feet are notoriously difficult to repigment is, in my opinion, because they are exposed to ongoing daily friction (hands repeatedly on the move. coming into contact with all sorts of materials, being washed and dried, feet rubbing against socks and shoes). Other common sites for vitiligo lesions are where the bones or joints beneath cause pressure and friction on the underside of the skin and also around the neck and wrists where collars, clothing labels, stitching and cuffs typically rub.
- DermaSilk fabric is a perfect solution for me because, even now that my vitiligo is almost completely gone, I am still prone to itchy rashes whenever I wear certain synthetic garments, especially those with dark dyes and with scratchy labels and synthetic stitching.
- The DermaSilk range is not cheap, but it is very high quality and long-lasting. And, in my opinion, it offers a real and significant solution to contact inflammation in vitiligo as well as the better known chronic skin conditions.
DermaSilk and DermaSilk Intimo are Trademarks of Al.Pre.Tec. Srl. Italy