Viticolor Skin Camouflage Gel 50ml
Viticolor is specially designed for vitiligo use. It adds immediate, long-lasting colour to the skin, providing a semi-permanent camouflage that can be topped up every few days if needed. It may be safely used during vitiligo treatment, including during phototherapy.
More information below
Viticolor is a tinted gel which has been specifically designed to provide immediate and long-lasting colour to de-pigmented areas of skin.
Why is it in Vitiligo Store?
Many people with vitiligo feel more confident when their white patches are not on show. Covering them up with clothing is not always practical or comfortable, especially in warmer weather. Using traditional camouflage products every day can be time consuming. And commercial self-tanning products can be troublesome (sometimes orange, sometimes streaky, nearly always smelly and often a poor colour match). Viticolor was created specifically for building up your desired colour on your vitiligo patches, much like a camouflage product, but the results last as long as a self-tan. It can also be used during treatment and phototherapy.
How does it work?
Viticolor gel combines:
- colouring agents that provide an immediate stain to the skin as a guide to accurate application.
- pigmenting agents (DHA and Erythrulose) that provide deeper and longer-lasting colour. Colour appears a few hours after application.
Tips from The Vit Pro
- I found Viticolor easy to apply, using a sponge make-up applicator or cotton bud (starting at the centre of the depigmented area and working outwards) and was pleased with the result, and the smell.
- It is better to repeat several light applications over a few days rather than to apply too much product in one go. This allows you to build up to your desired colour.
- It is also better to overlap the gel with your normal pigment and then remove the excess with a clean tissue or cotton bud than to try to keep within the borders to start with. That way you should avoid leaving a white “frame” on each patch!
- Allow to dry (this does not take long). If, 8 hours after the first application, the resulting color is too light, simply apply another light coat. Subsequently, 1 or 2 applications per week are used to maintain the desired colouration.
- I found this product much better than the self-tans I used to use when I had widespread vitiligo. My only reservation is that – like all semi-permanent sunless tanners – it does contain DHA, which has been found to raise free radical activity in skin (which is the very thing anyone with vitiligo should be trying to avoid) especially when coupled with UV exposure shortly after application. So, whilst I recommend this product for anyone who expressly wants a semi-permanent camouflage, I would suggest it for occasional use only, rather than ongoing, and I highly recommend waiting several hours after application of any self-tan and then washing the skin before going out in the sun or using a UV lamp. I also highly recommend applying Vitix to treated areas once Viticolor is dry so as to counteract any increased free radical activity.
- As with all self-tans, Viticolor can stain clothing.